"How Insensitive" By: Astrud Gilberto

1.11.2009

I had a dream and it started with a song. almost gone, i am standing in the middle of a hazel thicket, under a low cloud of stars just glimmering there above my head. Fire flies glittering under the leaves of the trees. in the distance the men of the ferns danced to a light that lit up the groove like a moon. and then nothing at all. there was silence in the glade. i hear a females voice, high and clear, whisper into my ear to listen. i closed my eyes and studied the silence. "there you go, you've got your finger on it." i opened my eyes and see a man running in the distance, excited and scared as if he was being chased. after looking around me and seeing no one, i chase after him, calling for him to stop. He continues to run, dodging the trees and the bushes, who seemed to be after him as well. Reaching out and scraping his face and he ran by. He is trying to swat them off with his hands, still being careful to watch where he is going, still unable to hear me asking for him. then as i followed him, faster he was running, i noticed the trees arranged themselves into a wall. he was then encircled by the trees, with leaves falling in flurries around him, cutting and stinging as they touched his skin. the commotion was broken by a giant wail. " we're here" i hear in my ear. "we're safe". a tree stump grows from behind me, and i am forced to sit. then from the distance a woman dressing in an elegant red robe appears on a chariot lead by goats.

No comments: